Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Sunscreen Myths


I love Web MD for medical advice. Maybe I shouldn't read so much into it. The internet is always right after all...(LOL). But I tend to flock to Web MD  to see how really sick I or my children feel. 

So when I typed sunscreen myths in google up came my trusty old reliable Web MD.  

I thought I would share what I learned about sunscreen myths according to Web MD. 

Myth:  "The higher the SPF, the better the protection."


Interesting enough there are 3 kinds of ultraviolet UV rays; UVA, UVC, and UVA. UVA rays are the worst. They "penetrate" your skin and alter your pigmentation making your skin darker (the tan). Now UVB rays causes sunburn! This ray is also bad. It damages your skin's DNA and causes aging, pigment changes and cancerous tumors. UVC rays never make it through the atmosphere so at least we don't have to worry about them. 


To protect your skin from these rays, your  sunscreen needs to protect your skin from  both UVA and UVB rays. Broad spectrum means protection against UVA and UVB which is good, but look for an SPF of at least 15 and one of the following ingredients: mexoryl, oxybenzone or avobenzone (Parsol 1789) for UVA protection, or titanium dioxide.
Myth: "You don't need sunscreen on a cloudy day."
You need sunscreen everyday. Even on a cloudy day, UV rays will reach the Earth's surface and cause your skin sun damage. Also, make sure your are using sunscreen in addition to your make up that might have sunscreen in it. You can check your make up see if it protects both UVA and UVB rays. 

Find my favorite sunscreen here https://sjerez.myrandf.com/Shop/Product/ESBS150



No comments:

Post a Comment